Personal Learning Advocates
Who are we?
Our Personal Learning Advocates bring a range of skills to the work of the Elland Academy, from a varied background, such as: counselling, mentoring, etc
We are based in the Elland Academy but work closely with PLA’s linked with other schools. We work with families and young people to improve pupils’ attendance, achievement and overall school experience.
To enable parents to access the support that they need so that they, in turn, can support their children. This can be done in many ways and I have links to other agencies who can also provide the family with information and support.
We are able to support to families in a number of different areas such as:
- Family Relationships
- Housing advice
- Routines and Boundaries
- We offer a chance for parents to express their anxieties and frustrations and listen to them in a non-judgemental way. We can help with making links at school which can sometimes be a daunting process for parents.
- Our aim is to help families build on their strengths and work through the problem areas to achieve positive results in the family home, in school and all areas of family life.
- We are able to offer:
- Direct and confidential support to parents and carers in school or at home.
- Support with your child’s behaviour, attendance and achievement.
- Information about school and other educational institutions.
- The opportunity to access parent and child activities and services.
- Learning opportunities to families
- Home visits to support the family in improving school attendance and achievement.
- Access to parenting programmes.
- Help to find other services who can help.
- A chance to identify and build on your strengths as a parent.